SXSW Year 7
2008 was my first year in Austin. The year of the Zuckerberg interview. I knew basically no one in tech. And even fewer people knew me. I had just started working for VentureBeat. My badge, which I had bought before starting the job with VentureBeat, said I worked for ParisLemon.com.
Seven years is not a lot of time in SXSW-years — I know plenty of people who have been going for twice as long as that (and many more who have gone even longer). But it is enough time to have some perspective on the event — at least as it has existed in the “social, local, mobile” (I refuse to use that forced acronym) world. So here are some thoughts having just left SXSW 2014.
The entire thing feels muted. I don’t necessarily mean this in a bad way. It’s not like I’m saying “SXSW sucks!”, I’m just saying it doesn’t feel like it has the same energy that it did even in 2008.
1. I’m glad I had a badge, but I do hear people say you could probably get away with not having one. If my company didn’t send me, I’d probably go without one.
2. SXSWSars is so real!! I came back sick. I’m dying. Save meeee.
3. wtf Austin is so true. Ubers. Ugh I forgot how awful catching a cab can be!!
- lachlanj likes this
- franciscohui likes this
- reporter-app-survey-questions likes this
- matthewgram likes this
- jwelker likes this
- shaunline likes this
- gottagettawookiee reblogged this from parislemon
- pointsnandfigures likes this
- jamiepham likes this
- srikard likes this
- liveonfive likes this
- motoringprocom likes this
- beyond-the-neverland reblogged this from parislemon
- blogbleistift likes this
- davemorin likes this
- peterjwu likes this
- marc likes this
- beardedninjas likes this
- jsenum likes this
- olivertwisted likes this
- speedrasir likes this
- helms-deep likes this
- emeraldcityexplorer likes this
- lnmurphy reblogged this from parislemon and added:
- thebeeobee likes this
- parislemon posted this